Part 1: Get into that humorous mood...
This assignment just happened to coincide with an excellent funny video that was getting emailed around my office today:
Everyone in this class should watch the video, it will make you laugh. If you are an engineer (preferably one who has sat through a couple of real world work meetings). Maybe not so much if you are a manager, designer, or sales person... :)
It really does tie into the comments that Professor Kudrowitz has made multiple times about the difference between creativity vs nonsense, and the key components of innovation (novel + valuable + feasible)
Part 2: Mind Map of College Life
There are several sub-themes that I am interested in here, but the two that I am most interested in are:- Face buff for protection in the cold
- Light system for visibility while biking
Part 3: Doodle 10 Silly Ideas (still about college life)
Dorm room fire pit
For the student who wants to curl up by the fire while doing their homework. Just make sure that there are no fire codes preventing open flame in your dorm room.
Clothes tree tree (actual tree)
This tree has been genetically modified to have no leaves as to maximize the number of clothes hanger spots available on its branches. Perfect way for the nature lover to show off their entire wardrobe.
Levitating bed
In the battle to save space in a dorm room, having a bed that can float is very handy. Just make sure that there is nothing even remotely flammable underneath the rocket engines located at each of the four corners. The noise also might not be conducive for sleep...
Kangaroo pouch tee shirt for books
Just in case you need to walk around with a text book that you don't want to carry or put into a backpack, just stick it in the front of your shirt.
Bicycle umbrella
Pretty self explanatory. It is a giant umbrella for a bicycle. Will protect from both rain and sun. Will probably be challenged by even low level wind or speeds that exceed 5 mph.
Dry erase tee shirt
It will be hard to depend on anything written on this shirt to make it through the rigors of everyday life, but it would work with any standard dry erase marker.
Textbook with glowing pages
This is a glowing book. Probably not enough to actually read in the dark with, but enough to give a nice psychedelic green ambiance to any study session
Refrigerator backpack
Just in case one wants to walk around (at least as far as an extension cord will allow) with cold food instantly accessible, try out the refrigerator backpack.
Walking desk
This is designed to strap onto a person so that they can continue to work while walking around the campus. You can see below a strap for the waist on the right, and a sling to go around the neck on the left.
Microwave for turning food purple
Put in a cup of coffee, some frozen peas, or last night's left over. Whatever goes in, it comes out warmer and more purple.
Part 4: Meyers-Briggs
It would appear that I stand beside some of The Greats such as Franklin D. Roosevelt, Steve Jobs, and Tywin Lannister as an ENTJ (Extrovert iNtuitive Thinking Judging)
It was interesting to me that the test did not just bucketize each category, but it also reported out how strongly I fell into each category. For instance, I have a very strong tendency towards thinking over feeling, but I only have a slight tendency for extroversion over introversion.











I watched the video and completely agree with you the whole class needs to watch this! Although the premise is silly and obviously grossly exaggerated I have been in situations where I feel like this is situation is going on. Your mind map was really well organized and did a great job of branching out and I feel this is reflected in the quality of your two sub themes.
ReplyDeleteYour sketches were tremendous. They had the perfect amount of detail but still remained clean and concise. I liked your witty comments and thought it added some character to the ideas, especially on the backpack fridge that will work, “as far as the extension cord will allow.”
You brought up a good point with the test that I didn’t focus as much on the severity of each of the traits. We are also the same ENTJ personality, which is cool.
Overall I thought your blog was really well done. One thing you may be able to improve on into the future is layout of pictures and text. Although it was clean it only went up vertically. I know it’s hard to move around the pictures but in the future I think it would be good if you try to arrange your images and text to add more variety.
- Zach
Jon, that video is hilarious and I agree everyone should watch it. It is a little long though. I really like how you explored the space on your mind map. I wish you would have circle the words after you were done with the mind map in order to highlight what you thought were the most important things that came out of it and not just some themes that you looked into more from the beginning.
ReplyDeleteGreat job on your drawings, they are very explicit and clear. I really liked the bike umbrella, dry erase t-shirt , and the fridge backpack. Your ideas were very silly. I wish you could have focused more on slightly more reasonable ideas, still silly but more realistic. What if you had tried to combine different points of the mind map more and try to join them into new ideas?