Baseline Goal, Original Ideation & Factors to Overcome
I was given the assignment to create a new cookie, and I approached this problem with two basic facts.
- I am not a baker. I do not recall ever having attempted to bake cookies myself
- I was recovering from a night of heavy partying at a good friend's wedding the night before doing this work.
All of the standard commercial options were classic sweet cookies.
So instead, I started buying items that were closer to the flavor I was craving. I got home, and using a basic oatmeal cookie as my base, I started editing the recipe in an effort to create what I was looking for. The basic recipe came off of the Quaker Oats website. You can see the recipe and my initial notes in the image below.
Revision 0
On top of the markups in red, I also downsized the volume of the recipe knowing that there would probably be some iteration, and I can only eat so many prototype cookies....
Rev 0 Recipe:
1 cup oats
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons rosemary
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup parmesan cheese (powdered)
1 pinch of finely chopped green onion
I formed these into disks that were 3" in diameter and 1/4" in height. These were then baked at 350 degrees F for about 16 minutes. The result looked and tasted pretty good:
- It needs a little less rosemary. This may be a personal distaste for the herb, but it seemed strong
- Some visual contrast would help. I am thinking bigger pieces of green onion? Possibly spinach for a brighter green?
- The cook/bake time was perfect. They came out done but still soft
- A shredded parmesan might be better than powdered. A "cheesier" flavor would be better
3rd Party Inspiration
At this point was also craving some real food, so I headed over to a cafe near my house for breakfast. Incidentally enough, they were serving up a scone option that reminded me of my product design goal. You can see the two options available in the picture to the right. There is a "Strawberry Chocolate" as on option, and the other option available is "Spinach, Bleu Cheese, Green Onion". This looked very similar to what I was going for with my cookie design, so I purchased one (and thoroughly enjoyed it).Revision 1 Design

With the next revision, I made some changes. I considered my notes from the revision 0 trial to add in some additional ingredients including the spinach, larger onion pieces, & shredded rather than powdered cheese. I should note that I ran out of shredded parmesan and supplemented with shredded asiago.
After really enjoying the scone that I picked up earlier for breakfast, I also decided to add in some blue cheese. The tangy flavor of the cheese really added to the flavor of the scone, and I figured that it would also enhance the flavor of my cookies.
One thing of interest that I did notice was that the flavor definitely got overpowering if the pieces were too big. As I measured in my self-determined amount, I only selected chunks that were less than approximately 1/4" in diameter.
The revision 1 recipe was as follows. I used the same baking temperature and time as used in revision 0
1 cup oats
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon rosemary
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
3/4 cup asiago cheese (shredded)
1 pinch of finely chopped green onion
3 teaspoons blue cheese (<1/4" chunks)
1/4 cup diced green onions
1/4 cup chopped spinach
Some comments post rev 1 bake:
- The shredded cheese (including the supplemental Asiago) was very successful.
- The ingredients added for aesthetics improve the flavor somewhat, and had significant improvement on the appearance
- Overall flavor I was happy with the improvements
Revision 2
At this point, I am pretty satisfied with the base cookie, but something was still missing. Every cookie should have frosting! Obviously this would have to be tailored to the situation though, I don't think that oreo stuffing would fit this particular cookie.
My initial list of options included the following:
- Cheese spread
- Flavored Hummus
- Spicy red pepper
- Garlic
- Sundried tomato & basil
- Olive Tapenade
Ultimatly, the hummus option won out. It made manufacturing easier (spreading onto the cookie) and it was cheaper. These could both be a factors if I decide to commercialize my product.
Final Design
After going through the iterative design process, my final recipe is as follows:
1 cup oats
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon rosemary
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
3/4 cup asiago cheese (shredded)
1 pinch of finely chopped green onion
3 teaspoons blue cheese (<1/4" chunks)
1/4 cup diced green onions
1/4 cup chopped spinach
1 container of sundried tomato & basil hummus
The final product looks like this:











I think you hit your target with these, they reminded me of savory scones, but the addition of hummus was a great idea, it pretty much acted like savory frosting, which I thought added a nice textural component as well as a temperature component. I also liked the fact that you factored in manufacturing and production if these were to be sold as a product, I think that's an often overlooked aspect when it comes to projects like this. Nice work.
ReplyDeleteI ate the cookie before reading the description and was clearly very surprised. It pretty much looks like a standard cookie, especially with the "frosting", but turns out to be savory (and delicious). I really liked the inspiration for the cookie: just picking up ingredients that you were craving, and exploring ways to turn them into a good tasting cookie. I think the interesting combination of ingredients came out great, and the multiple revisions were definitely a great way to get to that point. I do wish I could have tasted the cheese and the herbs more. The hummus seemed to have been a little over powering. These cookies did remind me a lot of savory scones. Maybe a different base recipe, and possibly a different texture could make a more unique treat. Overall it was an excellent cookie!
ReplyDelete