Research Topic: Biking On Campus
For this assignment, I went about researching the subtopic "biking on campus"To learn more about this topic, I tried to use three different techniques:
- Ask
- Observe
- Experience
Ask
The "ask" portion of my research involved doing interviews with people who gave an appropriate representation of campus bikers. I interviewed 4 people described below. I am using representative names for convenience, but their real names are not used in this blog.
- Jim - A Mechanic/Salesman at Varsity Bike & Transit
- Ben - A guy riding one of the Nice Ride rental bicycles
- Juli - A student who rarely rides bikes (laggard)
- Mike - An avid student bicycle rider (early adapter)
Interview 1 - Jim
- Price
- Appearance/personal aesthetic appeal
- Functionality
Conclusion - Consumer Needs:
- A bike that is cheap - this means initial cost, upkeep, and protection from loss (theft)
- Minimal maintenance - Most students do not have the ability or the means to do mechanical maintenance on bikes
- Safety - The fact that students are buying both helmets and lights systems indicates that they are motivated to stay safe
- Aesthetics - Cost and functionality are (according to Joe) primary motivators for a bike purchase, and aesthetics tend to be secondary
Interview 2 - Ben
- They are maintenance free. Ben is able to count on having a functional bike on hand and does not need to worry about lubing chains or pumping up bike tires.
- He does not need to worry about theft. He does not ever lock up a Nice Ride, he uses it for point to point destinations, and then checks it back into the nearest Nice Ride Corral.
- Ben does not need to worry about extra storage. He mentioned that the bike that he owns is a challenge to store. He has limited indoor space, and he often resorts to just leaving his bike locked up outside to make room. With the Nice Rides, he never has to use his personal (and limited) space, because the bike just gets checked back in when he is done.
We delved a bit deeper into the maintenance part, and Ben made an interesting point. He said that an annual subscription to Nice Ride is about $60, and that much money could be spent on maintenance alone. for a personal bike. He did mention that there were some downsides to the Nice Rides. They are very heavy, and it would be very taxing to try and complete a long ride or a ride with multiple hills.
Conclusion - Ben's Needs
- Ben wants a transportation solution that involves minimum maintenance
- Ben does not want to worry about having his property stolen
- Ben has very limited space to store things
Interview 3 - Juli
Juli was a girl sitting on campus in the quad who was willing to answer some questions in between some of the homework that she was getting done. She was not riding a bike that day, but she said that she does occasionally ride a bike when the weather is nice. It was clear after talking to Juli that she does not ride often, and when she does, there are some issues that she has. Her specific concerns included the following:
- It is challenging to carry her accessories on the bike
- Communication while biking is much more challenging than while walking or riding the bus (texting, talking on her cellphone, browsing Facebook)
- Bike seats are uncomfortable when riding for extended periods of time
- Biking is not easy to do when the weather is not optimal. Specifically, snow and rain conditions that compromise traction can be very scary.
- Juli was concerned about theft, and she was worried about the idea of leaving her bike on campus
- Juli mentioned that it is challenging (particularly as a girl) to deal with the affects that biking has on her appearance.
We delved a little deeper into two issues, carrying accessories, and the negative affects on personal appearance.
- A nice outfit, such as maybe a dress
- Jewelry accessories such as earrings or a necklace
- A purse
- High heels
- All of the above mentioned makeup
Conclusion - Juli's needs
- A robust way to carry beverages
- A means to maintain her appearance throughout a ride, or improve her appearance after a bike ride
- A way to either easily carry all of her extra accessories, or have a drop location to pick them up from
Interview 4 - Mike
My discussion with Mike made it clear that he was an avid bike rider. He was riding a single speed bike, but he had clip-less pedals, and had a waterproof roll top bag. It was clear that he had spent a little bit more money on his equipment than some of my previous interviewees, or many of the other people that I had seen riding. Although Mike did not share many of the same concerns that Juli did, there were some issues that he touched on. The first was that Mike use cycling as a means to get to class, and also to his job which was an engineering internship. he noted that it was sometimes very challenging to get to work looking professional after biking. If he wore his work clothes while biking, there was a good chance that he would get them wet, muddy, sweaty or get grease on his pants. He could protect the clothes in his bag, but then the odds were that they would end up getting pretty wrinkled. This had been an ongoing problem for him. His temporary solution was to trade off the days that he biked to work with a drive. On the driving days, he dropped off clothes for his biking days, but this solution was not optimal.
Conclusion - Mike's needs
- A robust theft protection system that is not overly heavy
- A means to either protect his work clothes or transport his work clothes without wrinkling them
Observe
I also got to see a couple of people trying to use their cellphone while biking. I did not manage to get any shots of this, but both examples did not look very safe. One young woman I saw riding through an intersection with her phone up to her ear with one hand in an attempt to hold a phone conversation. She ended up running through a red light. Although no on got hurt, it looked like it had the potential for a serious incident.
Experience
I have had a significant amount of experience biking on campus. I used a bike exclusively for transportation throughout my time as an undergrad, and I have used a combination of biking and driving now during my time as a graduate student. My biggest challenges are similar to Mike's in that it is hard to transition from biking into a professional setting. I have found mediocre ways around these issues with the right gear such as hard shell pants & jackets as well as waterproof bags (such as the one shown to the left) to protect myself from weather challenges, but it continues to be a challenge.
Major Insights
- Maintaining a "dressier appearance" through a bike commute is challenging. This was a problem for many people that I talked to, but it was a particular issue for females and people commuting to a professional setting. This point was supported by my interviews with Mike and with Juli, as well as through my own experiences.
- It is challenging for bikers to decide to compromise on weight/bulk vs security when deciding what kind of lock to use for their bike. Mike explicitly pointed this out in his interview.
- People have a hard time carrying non-standard items like coffee thermoses on a bike. This was an interesting point that came up in Juli's interview. After she stated it, I realized that I had also had similar challenges. Although I don't drink coffee, I have had times where I have grabbed a quick meal in between classes, and wanted to bring my fountain soft drink with me on my bike only to realize I had no way of carrying it.
- Communication is a challenge on a bike. It is easy for people to talk on the phone or text while walking or riding on the bus, but it is much more challenging to do when riding a bike. Julie brought this up during her interview, and I saw this firsthand during my observations.
Problem Statements
- Juli the commuting student needs a way to securely carry her various beverage containers on a bicycle because popular containers such as Nalgene or Starbucks thermos do not fit in standard bike bottle cages
- Mike the commuting student and intern needs a way to get to work with professional attire because biking tends to compromise dress clothes due to environmental effects such as water and mud or due to packaging effects such as wrinkled clothes.
Both of these problem statements are clearly supported by the interviews described above.

Jon, this was a terrific blog. I thought the people you choose to interview did a great job of covering different demographics. Your interviews were insightful and got to the real issues that face bikers. The observations were good and I thought you brought up some good possible areas to explore such as storage and bike seat covers. Being a bike rider yourself I think will be very beneficial to you when progressing through this project as you think what things you can really see bikers using. Ascetically your blog looked great it was clean and easy to follow. There was a minor typo in the second line of the observe section “it was interesting to notice the things I had never really seen before” was repeated twice. I’d like to see how you expand from your problem statements, hopeful you can come up with some innovative ideas!
ReplyDelete-Zach
First off, I like how in depth you went in your blog, every part of the blog had good details. I like how each person you interviewed was very different and focused on different parts of biking. There were nice pictures to go along with everything you talked about in your blog. I thought the layout was good and easy to read through, as well as visually pleasing. I like how after each interview you went over your conclusions of the conversation. Also you went over your conclusions at the end again and added your problem statements too. I cannot come up with anything that I wish you did or any what ifs. Overall, this was a great blog post!
ReplyDelete